Friday, May 29, 2009

Persepolis Blog One

I think that Persepolis is more powerful as a memoir. The fact that it is an autobiography is what makes the story real. If the author had made a fictional story I don't think I personally would have found it as powerful.
The reason a memoir is more powerful is because it's real. It actually happened. And the author had been through a lot. I also think that making it a graphic novel shows how she sees things, and it shows us what her life looked like.
Graphic novels can show the details that need not be explained, but are vital to the story.
Honestly, I did not think I was going to like Persepolis at all. I didn't want to read it. And, I'm not going to say it's extremely captivating, or that I can't put it down. Because be that as it may, I still have a hard time picking it up to read it. But honestly, it's not bad. Right now I want to try and find a copy of Persepolis 2, so that I can continue with the story.
I have not read Maus, or any other graphic memoir for that matter. So I cannot compare this to anything other than a regular written book. I think that making a biography as a graphic novel is a good idea, but a lot of work.
I am going to start the drawing of my own graphic novel this weekend, and I know it will take a very long time, because not only do I suck at drawing, but I don't have the patience to add in all of that extreme detail. I give the author Kudos because she managed to do such a tedious task of drawing out her whole life.
Knowing me, it would take longer to draw it than it would to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment