Friday, May 29, 2009

Persepolis Blog Two.

The rules in Iran are very unfair.
There are many restrictions on what they are allowed to have.
There is also a very high double standard going on.
The men are allowed to wear what they want.
And many many men are killed as virgins.
Whereas women must be completely covered. They cannot show any skin or hair.
And it is illegal to kill a women that is a virgin.
Which would imply rape and then murder. Which is...legal?
As opposed to music & alcohol which are...illegal?
Yeahhh. Something is really wrong with that picture.
LITERALLY. (Cause it's a graphic novel, get it? haha. I know that one was lame.)
With so many things illegal, and so many people dying, people feel the need to rebel.
(Who wouldn't?)
Marji wears Nike shoes, and a denim jacket. She listens to illegal music tapes.
Instead of buying drugs she buys music.
And the sad thing is when she went to buy the tape, it was equivalent to buying drugs.
In that time era in Iran that was just as illegal as most drugs are now.
I would have been doing the same things as Marji if I were in her postition, and yes I am very thankful that I am not.
Because the acts of rebellion I can get away with now, would have easily killed me if I were in her position.
Since I am a teen now, my acts of rebellion consist of the usual. (You can guess, I am sure.)
But to summarize it, basically partying, having fun, sneaking around...etc. Mixed with other stuff as well. And that's the way it goes. There is a point when everyone feels the need to rebel. At any age. And the more freedom people have, they rebel in different ways. For Marji, all she had to do was wear tight jeans, and keep her head scarf up to high and that was considered rebelling. Now, people drink or do drugs to rebel. The only thing that stays consistent would be the acts of violence.
No matter what time era or what country, there is always violence.
I am not saying this is a good thing, but it seems that the world cannot live without violence.
If there were world peace would that be equivalent to Utopia? Or would there be other problems?
Most likely. There always seems to be problems. And half the time it seems that a problem can't be solved without first fighting it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment